Sunday, December 6, 2009

Holiday Card Keeper - Part 4

This is is, the last of the series on the Card Keeper.  I hope you have all enjoyed it!

Today we are going to finish it up and attach our metal to our box.  Here goes...

Day Four


Supply List:

 Box with lid – I’m using a cigar box, it measures 8 ¼ x 7 ¾ x 3, any paper Mache box will work too.

 Paints with Brushes, I’m using the new Claudine Paints by Ranger but any acrylic paints will do.

 Some paper towels or a soft cloth for buffing.

 Sand Paper or Sanding Block

 Your nearly finished piece of metal

 Paper Stump

 Brass Brush

 Humungo Adhesive

 

 
To color the metal, I dipped my brush into the paint and painted over some of the areas I wanted colored. Ranger's Studio paints stick really well into the metal so you don’t need to let them dry too much before buffing.
 

With cotton cloth or some paper towels, buff off some of the paint. I do this just so I can see some of the metal underneath.
 

As you see here, I completely covered the back piece in blue (I mixed the white and blue to get this nice color) I also completely covered the bottom in white.


I just buffed off the paint so that the paint ‘stuck’ into the snowflakes but didn’t stay all over the project. If you are using a cheaper paint, just let the paint dry a few moments before buffing. If you don’t then you might find yourself wiping all the paint off the project. If that happens, just do it again!

I found that some areas had paint left on that I didn’t want there. I used my brass brush and in a circular motion, ‘brushed’ off the paint.


To add my metal to my box, I use the Humungo adhesive from Ten Seconds Studio. There are many options out there. You can use a strong liquid adhesive as well as any strong dry adhesive. I’ve used the Ultimate, Claudine’s Multi Medium, Uhu’s Twist and Glue, Kokoyo’s tape roller, Magic Scraps adhesive and some others.

If you use the Humungo adhesive, my suggestion is to cut it to size first and then peel back just one layer.

“Walk” the adhesive down your piece. Basically, start at one end and then slowly spread you hand over the piece until all the adhesive is down. You’re trying to ensure no air bubbles get trapped between your adhesive and metal.


It’s possible you might have to trim up some of your adhesive.

Once you find the correct placement on your piece, then peel back the other layer on the adhesive and ‘walk’ it onto your box.

Use your paper stump or popsicle stick to help the sides lay flat on your project.

And now you’re done!


I hope you enjoyed this blog class! If you have any question, please let me know!

No comments:

School's out ...for Summer?

Last night the Governor of Massachusetts cancelled all school until May 4th.  He did this on March 25th.  That is about 6 weeks of no sc...