Monday, August 11, 2008

Nothing like that NEW carpet smell...

I know it's Monday and I mentioned last week that we may do a Review Monday thing so... consider this a review and a post. It's a twofer!

I have no crafting news to share again today. I spent all day in my kitchen. I couldn't move beyond about 3 feet in one direction and 4 feet in another. It was kinda a stressful day, but a great day! We contacted Empire Today to get new carpets last week and scheduled an install for TODAY! I'm so happy. Our old carpet was well lived in. It was a Plush tan carpet that had seen a lot of stuff. The kids both were infants and toddlers on that old carpet, a sick dog layed on the carpet, the cats had hairballs on that carpet, kids spilled juice, adults spilled food, juice, beer, soda and ... well, the cats peed on it while we were in Maine. YUCK! GROSS! I know. I've had to live with it for over a week! And it's been humid and rainy. Enough said.

So the Empire guy came last Thursday, I picked out a new carpet, a frieze this time. It's kinda scratchy and tickly on your feet all at the same time. Much different than the plush. It's a color called Ashwood so it's still a tan but a little lighter. Which really is fine since our dog is a blue merle and it just seems that most of her white hair falls out rather than the gray and black. The carpet has some flex of green and brown in it, so if spills happen - ok, scratch that, when spills happen it'll be more forgiving. Anyhow, I picked out the carpet, he gave me a price, I gave him some money and he went home.

Yesterday Patrick and I started the daunting task of emptying the room of everything. We did pay for them to remove the old carpet but didn't pay for furniture removal. Since Patrick's got a bad back, I did most of the grunt work. Boy, oh boy, I was tired. The TV weighs about 1000 pounds and the entertainment center weighs about 5000! My scrapbook cupboard (yes, I actually own a scrapbook cupboard) weighed about 25000 pounds and has yet to find a new home, since I'm not putting it back into the living room. It really belongs in my studio, I just need to find a spot for it now. But you know what I thought was the killer... the fish tank. Who knew fish weighed that much!!! By golly, miss molly! I think it's the thought that you have to carry it, you can't spill it and if you drop it, two little boys will cry because you killed their fish!!! That thing was the worst.

Back to Empire... they told me that the guys would call on Monday AM with a time frame they'd be here. They did. They called at 7:45 AM and said they'd be there between 9-10. They were at my door at 9:05AM and they were gone by 12:15PM!! They were fast, efficient and personable too! One of the guys made little hearts for me out of the left over carpet...

OK, Ok, not very practical, but really where am I going to put the left over pieces of carpeting anyhow. I've got a ton of it! They did my entire living room and the stairs. The stairs carpet was old, worn out maroon carpet that showed every ounce of cat hair, dog hair and dirt there was to be had. Now the stairs are not only bright and cheerful but inviting and nice to look at...

Ignore the whole in the wall. We assume it used to be the fireplace in the house but has been long ago dismantled. We now put the 5000 pound entertainment center over it. It works out nicely because you have a large space to fuss with the cables and wires that come with an entertainment center.

I keep getting off the subject here. Again, I'm happy with Empire Today. The carpet is beautiful, it was installed in a rain and thunderstorm and the guys never complained. They took off their shoes once in the house so they would get dirt on my new carpet, they swept, cleaned up after themselves and did the work in short order. I have no complaints. This is the 3rd time I've used Empire. They did the carpet in my studio, they did my bathrooms tub and tile and now this carpet. I'll use them again if I need to. ...Hmmmm... the kitchen floor could use....

No comments:

School's out ...for Summer?

Last night the Governor of Massachusetts cancelled all school until May 4th.  He did this on March 25th.  That is about 6 weeks of no sc...