Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Catching Up...

Wow! I can't believe it's been a week since I blogged. I've thought about doing it the last few days but something always got in my way. oh, so where have I been? Working, Teaching, Playing, Being Mom, Cleaning and Creating in just about that order. While showing you a picture of my newly vacuumed carpets would prove I did vacuum them, it's just not as satisfying as showing you this...

This is the third and final installment in Metal Embossing Basics. Three of the above techniques I came up with on my own. I think I'll do a tutorial on one of them this weekend. I'm gonna wait, though as I want the students in Friday night's class to get first crack at it.
Last Sunday I got together with 8 of my closest friends and cropped a bit. Well I say cropped but really I think there was only 2 of us that actually had a photo on us. The rest of us, well, 'craft' - with paper, ink, paint, or what ever suits our fancy. Me? I used 1/2 a bottle of Walnut Ink Stain and some metal and started creating a box. I finally was able to finish it yesterday. Not my best work, definitely room for improvement. And isn't that what life's about, living, learning and then applying what we've learned? Maybe I'll make another one. But for now, here's what I came up with...

This box is big enough for almost anything. Love letters, special momentos, photos... you name it. I used four of the new Kabukas on this box, plus some wheels and a large mold. The Copper side of art metal and some Dark Chocolate Metal as well. All from 10 Seconds Studio. Using the letter Kabukas was a challenge. It probably took me about 1 hour to get those letters just right. The best part is the coloring of the metal. I think that just came out stunning!

For those of you friends that would like to make one yourself, I'm game. I've found some tricks along the way too. Although, we will definitely need to have Katie help us line the inside. I tried the top and I still stink at it! Thanks, Kate for lining the bottom, it looks fabulous!

Monday the kids were home sick. This kinda worked in my favor since I was up until 2 scouring the internet for photos of CHA. I was really hoping to find some photos of the Kandi booth, or the Dream Weaver booth. So far, nothing. If you know of any PLEASE let me know. I'm dying to see them.

On Tuesday, hmmm... I've forgotten what I did Tuesday - oh, yah, finished the box. And today I put a bunch of stuff up on Ebay. I'm selling all my Sizzix Dies and Machines, some magazines, some Quickutz Dies, just some stuff I haven't used in a while. I have to clear out some stuff to make life more managable. My craft room is always a mess and I'd like to change that. We'll see. I've always got the gusto in the beginning but then peter out.

2 comments:

Lynne Forsythe said...

Well there you are!!! How did you fare with the storm yesterday....7"+ here...I know I'm sick...was hoping for more!

inge said...

Hello Kim,

I like your metal sheets ! I didn't figure out how you actually made them, but i guess Belgium is a bit too far to teach....

greetings from Belgium
Inge

School's out ...for Summer?

Last night the Governor of Massachusetts cancelled all school until May 4th.  He did this on March 25th.  That is about 6 weeks of no sc...